-->

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Exchange 2016 Shell Error "WinRM cannot process the request; XML contains a syntax error"

A while back I wrote a post about the EWS API causing trouble on one of my Exchange 2016 servers.
Well, I needed to bump up the VM resources on my Exchange servers, which requires a reboot. After the reboot, the remnants of the EWS app came screaming to life. This left the Exchange Management Shell useless, which also left the server in maintenance mode, because I couldn't use the shell to run the maintenance cmdlets.

Tip: if you're in a bind, just use the Windows PowerShell and load the Exchange snap-in by running: Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.SnapIn;

The EMS tried to connect to each Exchange server before finally giving up and throwing the following error:

Connecting to remote server "servername" failed with the following error message: WinRM cannot process the request because the input XML contains a syntax error.
FullyQualifiedErrorId: -21447108477

Exchange Shell XML Error


The Fix:

I tried tons of things and what I finally found was, the system clock on my Exchange VMs were off; not by a lot, but enough to cause errors.

If you're running Exchange on VMWare, follow my post of setting the VM host time correctly.

16 comments:

  1. windows time was also my issue, working now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing exchange server time resolve my issue , thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to correct the time on the domain controller.
    Thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice content, thanks for the solution

    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nailed it. You really saved me some time this morning. I'm running a copy of my VM domain on a private switch for testing, so no internet time sync. One of my DCs was off by 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments guys :D
    You literally saved my Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. time sync was an issue after changes it working like a champ...
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lifesaver.

    Had to reboot my DC's once I got the time corrected.

    My ESX Host somehow picked up the incorrect time after a reboot, and that pushed it to every server on the host when I moved them back. I fixed ESX, then the DC's, reboot one at a time, then rebooted email and edge.

    Thanks for this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your kidding! That was it. Was only several minutes off and rebooted dc dc2 and exch and it worked! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear Unknown.. and vs... You are great !!!! I solved it thanks to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thankssssssssssssssssss dear.

    ReplyDelete